Chettinad elaneer payasam recipe | tender coconut kheer is a tasty drink prepared with coconut water, coconut milk and condensed milk. This payasam is a popular drink served in almost all Chettinad weddings. We can also use this payasam for neivedhyam to god. We have already prepared few payasams such as Aval payasam, Pineapple Payasam, Semia payasam, Oats payasam, Orange pazha payasam, Carrot Payasam and Javvarisi payasam. Now let us see how to prepare elaneer payasam in easy steps.
- tender coconut / elani – 1
- coconut milk / thengai paal – 1/4 cup
- condensed milk – 1/4 cup (use store bought condensed milk or you can prepare condensed milk at home)
1. Take one tender coconut / elani and separate coconut water and the tender coconut.
2. Grind tender coconut in a mixie and keep it ready.
3. Take 1/2 cup of milk and boil in low flame to condense it into half the amount.
4. When it condenses into 1/4 cup add 2 tsps of sugar. (you can add 4 tsps if you need more sweetness)
5. Grind 1/2 cup of grated coconut in a mixie and extract coconut milk.
6. This is extracted by sieving it through a cloth filter. Press using a spoon to extract coconut milk completely.
7. Now take coconut water in a bowl. Add ground tender coconut to it and mix well.
8. Next add extracted coconut milk.
9. Now add condensed milk. Sugar is added already to this. This will have mild sweetness. If you need more sweetness you can add more sugar.
10. Mix together well and pour it into glasses. This gives 2 glasses of coconut kheer.
11. Nuts roasted in ghee can be added as per wish. This can also be refrigerated and served chilled.
1. You can use store bought condensed milk instead of making at home.
2. You can avoid adding coconut milk and it can be substituted by adding only condensed milk.