Chettinad Cauliflower soup | gobi soup recipe | காலிப்ளவர் சூப் is one of the healthiest and tasty soup prepared in Chettinad. This soup is mostly served in between breakfast and lunch. Here we add toor dal, onions and tomatoes to increase the thickness of the soup. We do not add any stocks in this soup. This soups contains well cooked soft florets of cauliflower in it which makes it to taste different.
We have already prepared many soups such as Sweet corn soup, Badam soup, Beetroot Soup, Green Peas soup, Drumstick leaf soup, Coriander stem soup, Radish leaves soup, Tomato Toor dal soup, Cabbage Soup, Keerai Thandu Soup, Cream of mushroom soup and many more soups. Now let us see how to prepare this cauliflower soup.
A short video link for the recipe:-
Chettinad Cauliflower soup recipe – Ingredients:-
- cauliflower – 1 (medium size chopped to florets)
- onion – 1 (chopped)
- tomato – 1 (chopped)
- green chilly – 1 (slit)
- ginger / inji – 1/2 inch
- fennel seeds / sombu – 1/2 tsp
- oil – 1 tsp
- turmeric powder / manjal podi – 1/2 tsp
- cooked toor dal / thuvaram paruppu – 1/2 cup
- salt / uppu – to taste
- cumin-pepper powder/ milagu-seeraga podi – for garnishing
Chettinad Cauliflower soup recipe – Method of preparation:-
1. Firstlycut and clean the cauliflower florets to medium size pieces. Put it in boiling water for one minute and remove at once. This is to remove any worms in it and keep it ready.
2. Secondly heat half a tea spoon of oil, add fennel seeds, chopped ginger, green chilly, chopped onion and chopped tomatoes. Sauté for few minutes and switch of the flame.
3. After that cool down to room temperature and grind these fried onion, tomato, green chilly and cooked toor dal to a fine paste.
4. Further add cauliflower florets to the cooker along with ground mix in the mixie, turmeric powder and salt. Add water according to your required consistency. You can rinse the mixie jar and add to this.
5. Pressure cook for 1 whistle in medium flame and switch off the stove as soon as you get a whistle. If it is over cooked, cauliflower florets may be mashed. Cool to room temperature and open the pressure cooker. Check for salt and add if necessary.
6. Transfer the soup to serving bowls and garnish with cumin pepper powder and little amount of finely chopped fresh coriander leaves and serve hot.