Chettinad Avaraikkai thuvattal recipe is a side dish for rice prepared using chopped avaraikkai, onion, green chilly, grated coconut, cooked toor dal and salt.
Botanical name :- Vica faba
You may also read health benefits of Avaraikkai
Chettinad Avaraikkai thuvattal recipe – Ingredients:-
- avaraikkai / broad beans – 1/4 kg
- onion – 1 (chopped)
- green chilly – 1 (slit)
- grated coconut – 1 tblsp
- salt – to taste
Chettinad Avaraikkai thuvattal recipe – Ingredients for Seasoning:-
- oil – 1 tsp
- mustard seeds / kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- urad dal / ulundham paruppu – 1 tsp
- curry leaves – few
Chettinad Avaraikkai thuvattal recipe – Method of preparation:-
1. Firstly cook toor dal with one tea spoon of oil and turmeric powder. Drain water and keep it ready.
2. Secondly boil water in a container and cook chopped avaraikkai for 5 minutes.
3. Thirdly when it is well cooked and becomes soft drain water in a vegetable sieve.
4. Further heat one tea spoon of oil in a fry pan. Add mustard seeds and when it splutters and urad dal.
5. When it turns golden brown add chopped onion, green chilly and curry leaves.
6. When onions turns pale add cooked avaraikkai.
7. Next add cooked toor dal and salt. Stir well till it mixes evenly.
8. Finally add grated coconut. Mix evenly, transfer to serving bowl.
9. Serve as side dish for rice.
For other avaraikkai recipes in my website click on the links below