Chepangilangu Kara kuzhambu recipe is a side dish which we serve with rice , Idli , dosa, or Chapathi . Here we do not use any pearl onions or garlic. We prepare this chepangilangu Kara kuzhambu with following ingredients. They are tamarind, red chillies, channa dal, urad dal, pepper corns, grated coconut, turmeric powder and salt.
Chepangilangu Kara kuzhambu recipe – Ingredients:-
- chepangilangu / arbi – 1/4 kg
- tamrind paste
- tamarind paste / puzhi – 1 tsp Tamarind Paste Preparation
- turmeric powder / manjal thool – 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder preparation
- salt / uppu – to taste
- jaggery / vellam – 1 tsp
Chepangilangu Kara kuzhambu recipe – Ingredients to grind:-
- channa dal / kadalai paruppu – 1 tblsp
- urad dal / ulundham paruppu – 1 tblsp
- pepper corns / milagu – 10 number
- red chillies / vara milagai – 8 number
- grated coconut / thuruviya thengai – 1/2 cup
Chepangilangu Kara kuzhambu recipe – Ingredients for tempering:-
- oil – 3 tsp
- mustard seeds / kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- asafoetida / perungayam – pinch
- curry leaves / karuvepilai – few
Chepangilangu Kara kuzhambu recipe – Method of preparation:-
1. Firstly cook chepangilangu in a pressure cooker for one whistle. Once pressure is released, remove the skin. Chop into two or three pieces.
2. Secondly heat one tea spoon of oil. Fry all the ingredients that should be ground.
3. Cool down to room temperature. Grind into a fine paste using required water.
4. Further mix tamarind paste, turmeric powder and salt in one cup of water.
5. Now heat 3 tea spoons of oil in a fry pan. Fry cooked and chopped chepangilangu till it turns colour. Remove it and keep aside.
6. In the remaining oil add mustard seeds. When it splutters add asafoetida and curry leaves. Then add tamarind juice mix.
7. Now add ground red chilly mix along with required water.
8. Add cooked and fried chepangilangu and keep it in low flame for 5-7 minutes.
9. Finally add jaggery and mix well.
10. Add one tea spoon of ghee. Serve as side dish along with rice, idli or dosa.