Chepangilangu Kara kuzhambu recipe | arbi kuzhambu is a tasty side dish which can be served with rice , Idli , dosa, or Chapathi . Here we do not use any pearl onions or garlic. This chepangilangu Kara kuzhambu is made with tamarind, red chillies, channa dal, urad dal, pepper corns, grated coconut, turmeric powder and salt.
- chepangilangu / arbi – 1/4 kg
- tamrind paste
- tamarind paste / puzhi – 1 tsp Tamarind Paste Preparation
- turmeric powder / manjal thool – 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder preparation
- salt / uppu – to taste
- jaggery / vellam – 1 tsp
- channa dal / kadalai paruppu – 1 tblsp
- urad dal / ulundham paruppu – 1 tblsp
- pepper corns / milagu – 10 number
- red chillies / vara milagai – 8 number
- grated coconut / thuruviya thengai – 1/2 cup
- oil – 3 tsp
- mustard seeds / kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- asafoetida / perungayam – pinch
- curry leaves / karuvepilai – few
1. Wash and cook chepangilangu with skin in a pressure cooker for one whistle. Once pressure is released, remove the skin nod chop the root into two or three piece according to its size.
2. Heat one tsp of oil and fry all the ingredients that should be ground.
3. Cool down and grind into a fine paste using water.
4. Mix tamarind paste, turmeric powder and salt in one cup of water.
5. Now heat 3 tsps of oil in a fry pan and fry cooked and chopped chepangilangu till it turns colour. Remove it and keep aside.
6. In the remaining oil add mustard seeds and when it splutters add asafoetida and curry leaves followed by tamarind juice mix.
7. Now add ground red chilly mix along with required water.
8. Add cooked and fried chepangilangu and keep it in low flame for 5-7 minutes.
9. Finally add jaggery and mix well.
10. Add one tsp of ghee and serve as side dish along with rice, idli or dosa.