Carrot Halwa recipe | kajar | காரட் அல்வா is prepared with the versatile vegetable carrots which are commonly eaten raw, steamed, boiled, roasted and as an ingredient in many soups and salads. Carrot is a root vegetable and so you should peel and washed before consuming.
Carrots have a sweet mild flavour and so you can use for making juice and halwa. Eating carrots raw or steamed provides you the most nutritional value. Carrots are in a range of colours – like purple, yellow and red. Red carrots are usually preferred for preparing halwa as it has more sweet taste in it. You can prepare this carrot halwa during festivals like diwali or during special occasion.
Even more halwa recipes in my website are as follows:-
black rice halwa and
Video link for the recipe:-
Carrot Halwa recipe – Ingredients:-
- carrots – 1 kg
- sugar / seeni – 1/2 kg
- ghee / nei – 4 tblsp
- milk / paal – 1 to 1.5 cup
- cashew nuts – few
- cardomom powder / elakkai powder – 1/4 tsp
Carrot Halwa recipe – Method of preparation:-
1. I have preferred red carrots which are mostly available during winter and are sweet in taste.
2. Firstly wash, clean, remove the skin and grate carrots.
3. Secondly heat ghee in a thick bottom pan and add grated carrot and sauté for 5 minutes. When colour of the carrot start changing, add milk to it and immerse all carrot in it.
4. Further allow it to boil for few minutes till milk disappears completely. Thirdly when all milk was absorbed by carrot and the carrots got cooked, add sugar.
5. Again it will become watery when sugar melts. Stir at intervals till water gets evaporated completely and halwa becomes thick and gets its consistency. You can now switch off the stove and transfer to a container.
6. Finally in another pan heat 1 tea spoon of ghee and add cashew nuts (maybe full or broken) and dry grapes (optional). When it turns golden, switch off the stove, add cardomom powder and pour it into the halwa. You can serve this yummy halwa when hot or even refrigerate it and serve cooled.