Butter Murukku recipe | Arisi Murukku is a South Indian snacks prepared for Diwali and Krishna Jayanthi. Murukku is a crispy South Indian snacks prepared with rice flour. See https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murukku Rice, fried gram, besan, cumin, butter and salt are the main ingredients used here. Murukku is deep fried in oil. This is also known as “Nei Murukku”, “arisi Murukku” and “Chakli” in North India. There may be slight variations in proportion. If you were using store bought rice powder, sieve it before using.
Butter Murukku recipe – Ingredients:- (200 ml cup used)
- rice flour / arisi maavu – 2 cup
- fried gram flour / pottu kadalai maavu – 1/4 cup
- gram flour / besan / kadalai maavu – 1/4 cup
- butter / vennai – 2 tsp
- cumin seeds / seeragam – 1 tsp
- asafoetida / perungayam – pinch
- salt – to taste
Butter Murukku recipe – Method of preparation:-
1. First of all grind 3 tea spoons of fried gram in a mixie to a fine powder.
2. Secondly take the ingredients such as rice flour, fried gram flour, gram flour, cumin seeds, asafoetida, butter and salt in a bowl.
3. Mix well the ingredients together evenly.
4. After that add water little by little and mix well to form a smooth dough. It should not be very thick. It should be smooth and free from cracks.
5. Take the kitchen press and fix the star mould to it.
6. Fill the kitchen press with the murukku dough.
7. Make small Murukkus on a butter paper.
8. Finally heat oil in a fry pan. You can use any oil of your wish. I have used coconut oil.
9. Using a dosa ladle remove Murukku one by one from butter paper and put it in hot oil. Keep the stove in medium flame. Turn Murukku upside down and fry to golden on both sides.
10. Remove from oil, cool to room temperature and store in containers.
11. You can also break it and serve. If you directly make Murukku in hot oil you will get long bits of Murukku as in the photo below.
For more Diwali snacks click on the links below