We can make this Brown thuvaiyal recipe using onion, tomato and fresh coriander leaves. You can add red chillies, curry leaves and other spices to get a perfect brown colour for the chutney. It is very healthy with all fresh ingredients. Further we can serve this as side dish for idli or dosa or as spread while you prepare sandwich.
Brown thuvaiyal recipe – Ingredients:-
- onions – 2 (chopped)
- tomatoes – 2 (chopped)
- coriander – 1 bunch
- curry leaves – 1 cup
- garlic / poondu – 2 tblsp
- ginger / inji – 1 tblsp
- red chillies – 8-10
- vegetable oil – 1 tsp
- mustard seeds / kadugu – 1 tsp
- urad dal / ulundham paruppu – 1 tsp
- channa dal / kadalai paruppu – 2 tsp
- asafoetida / perungaayam – 1/2 tsp
- tamarind / puzhi – lemon size
- salt – to taste
Brown thuvaiyal recipe – Method of preparation:-
1. Firstly heat one tea spoon of oil in a fry pan, add mustard seeds and when it splutters add urad dal and channa dal and when it turns golden add asafoetida.
2. Secondly when asafoetida splutters add red chillies and chopped onions.
3. Thirdly when it turns pale, add chopped coriander and curry leaves.
4. Further saute for few minutes and add chopped tomatoes.
5. Switch off the stove and cool down to room temperature. Finally grind it into a fine paste in a mixie along with tamarind and salt. Serve as side dish with idli or dosai. You can also use this chutney as a spread when you prepare sandwich.