Broadbeans coconut milk gravy | Avaraikkai thengaipaal kuzhambu is prepared using broad beans and coconut milk to enhance its thickness and taste. Avaraikkai is also called as flat beans. This is a tasty recipe used as side dish for rice, idli, dosai and roti.
- Broad beans/ avaraikkai – 250gms (chopped)
- Onion – 1 (chopped)
- Tomato – 1 (chopped)
- Sambar powder – 1 tsp Authentic Chettinad Sambar Powder Recipe
- Turmeric powder/ manjal podi – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Coconut milk – 2 cups
- Ghee/ nei – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds/ seeragam – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves/ karuvepilai – few
1. Cook chopped broad beans, onion and tomato in a cup of water. Close and cook in low flame for 10 – 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile take extract of coconut milk. Grind coconut in a mixie adding 1 cup of water. Seive it. Let it come to two cups. 1/2 a coconut will make this amount.
3. When it is fully cooked and broad beans becomes soft add sambar powder, turmeric powder and salt. Mix well and add water if necessary.
4. Keep in low flame for another 5 minutes. After the spices and salt gets absorbed by the beans, add coconut milk. Keep in low flame for not more than one minute.
5. Heat ghee in a pan, add cumin seeds and when it splutters add curry leaves and switch off the flame. Pour it in the gravy. Serve along with rice or roti.