Brinjal sambar recipe | katharikkai sambar is a popular South Indian side dish prepared with brinjal, onion, tomato, toor dal, sambar powder, turmeric powder, tamarind and salt. This sambar is served as side dish for rice, idli, dosa or chapathi. Sambar CA next also be prepared with any vegetable in combination with toor dal, sambar powder, salt and tamarind.
Other recipes with brinjal:-
Now let us see how to prepare brinjal sambar.
- brinjal / katharikkai – 1/4 kg
- onion – 1/2 cup (chopped)
- tomato – 1/2 cup (chopped)
- oil – 1 tsp
- mustard seeds / kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- urad dal / ulundham paruppu – 1 tsp
- asafoetida / perungayam – pinch
- curry leaves / karuvepilai – few
- sambar powder – 1 tsp Authentic Chettinad Sambar Powder
- turmeric powder / manjal podi – 1/4 tsp Home made manjal podi
- tamarind paste / puzhi – 1 tsp Tamarind Paste Preparation
- cooked toor dal / thuvram paruppu – 1 cup How to cook toor dal
- salt – to taste
1. Chop brinjal into small cross pieces and put in water as shown in the photo below.
2. Chop tomatoes and onion. Keep it ready along with curry leaves.
3. Heat one tsp of oil in a fry pan and add mustard seeds. When it splutters add urad dal. When urad dal turns golden add asafoetida, chopped onion and curry leaves. When it turns pale add chopped tomatoes.
3. Fry for few minutes and then add chopped brinjal and fry till it changes colour.
4. When brinjal changes colour add one cup of water and turmeric powder.
5. Close and cook in low flame till brinjal becomes soft. Then add sambar powder, salt and tamarind paste.
6. Add one more cup of water along with cooked toor dal. Close and cook till raw smell leaves the pan.
7. When you get your required consistency and sambar becomes thick, transfer to a serving bowl.
8. Add one tsp of ghee and serve as side dish along with rice.