Brinjal chutney | Chettinad Katharikkai kosumalli recipe is one of the tastiest recipe in Chettinad which will be served as side dish especially for Chettinad Idiyappam This can also be used as side dish for Idli and Dosa too.
The main ingredient in this recipe is brinjal. To know about the nutritional value and health benefits of eggplant click on Brinjal – health benefitsAlong with brinjal we add potato(optional) green chillies and onion. You can select any type of brinjal for this recipe. I I have selected the bigger one. So today I will teach you how to prepare the Chettinad Katharikkai kosumalli in simple steps. Prepare following my instructions carefully, taste it and give me your valuable comments.
- brinjal / katharikkai – 1/4 kg
- potato – 1 and tomato – 1 (both optional)
- onion – 1 (finely chopped)
- green chillies – 5 to 6 (slit)
- turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- tamarind – juice from lemon size tamarind or 1 tsp of paste ( Tamarind Paste Preparation )
- salt – to taste
- oil – 1 tsp
- mustard seeds / kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- urad dal/ ulundam paruppu – 1 tsp
- asafoetida / perungaayam – pinch
- curry leaves / karuveppilai – few
1. Cut brinjal into two( so that you may check if any worms inside) and cook it in a pressure cooker along with potato if you were using it, which is optional.
2. Once steam is released open the cooker and take out brinjal and potato. Cool down to room temperature and remove skin from both brinjal and potato.
3. Mash brinjal and potato well using a masher and keep it ready. Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and when it splutters add urad dal.
4. When urad dal turns golden yellow, add asafotedia , green chillies, chopped onion and curry leaves.
5. Sauté well till onions turns pale. Then add turmeric powder and 1/2 a cup of water, close the lid and cook for few minutes in medium flame until onions and chillies get cooked well. Now add mashed brinjal and potato(optional) tamarind juice or one tsp of tamarind paste and salt and cook for 5 more minutes in medium flame till the gravy becomes thick according to your needed consistency.
6. Switch off the flame and transfer to the serving bowl. It is a tasty side dish with a beautiful green colour. Can be served as side dish with iddiyappam, iddli or dosai
For more Chettinad side dishes click on the links below