Bread Upma recipe | Spicy Bread snacks with step by step photos which can be prepared with 10 minutes. This is commonly served in South Indian tiffin centers. This snack is delicious made with any type of bread or bun or with few left out pieces. It can be served as breakfast or as evening snacks for kids from school. I have used sandwich bread. This can also be prepared with milk bread, bun or brown bread. Bread Upma tastes delicious when served immediately after preparing.
Even more related recipes:-
Now let us see how to prepare this easy bread Upma.
Bread Upma recipe – Ingredients:-
- bread slices – 3 number (I have used sandwich bread)
- oil – 1 tsp
- mustard / kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- urad dal / ulundham paruppu – 1 tsp
- curry leaves / karuvepilai – few
- ginger paste / inji viludhu – 1/2 tsp
- onion – 1 (finely chopped)
- tomato – 1 (finely chopped)
- turmeric powder / manjal podi – 1/4 tsp
- red chilly powder / milagai podi – 1/2 tsp
- sugar / cheeni – 1/2 tsp (optional)
- water – 4 tsp
- salt – to taste
- coriander leaves – handful (finely chopped)
- cashew nuts – as needed
Bread Upma recipe – Method of preparation:-
1. Firstly heat a dosa pan and toast the bread pieces with one tea spoon of ghee.
2. Secondly cut toasted bread into small cubes and keep it ready.
3. Thirdly heat one tea spoon of oil in a fry pan and add mustard seeds and when it splutters add urad dal.
4. Further when urad dal turns golden add asafoetida and curry leaves.
5. Now add chopped onion and fry.
6. When onions turns pale add ginger paste and fry for few minutes.
7. After that add finely chopped tomatoes along with turmeric powder and salt.
8. When tomatoes becomes mushy add red chilly powder and sugar (optional)
9. Mix well and add 4 tea spoon of water. Leave it for one minute.
10. Finally when raw smell leaves the pan add toasted and chopped bread cubes.
11. Mix well until the spice mixture coats the bread cubes. Sprinkle some lemon juice and roasted cashews if needed. Serve the bread Upma hot garnishing with finely chopped fresh coriander leaves.