Bread Halwa recipe | Easy Halwa recipe is a popular dessert from Hyderabad cuisine. An easy to prepare, mouth watering sweet that can be served after meals. This halwa can be prepared with white bread, wheat bread or milk bread. I have used milk:water in the ratio 1:1 If you need it thicker you can use two cups of milk instead of using water. The amount of sugar can be increased or decreased according to your need. This halwa can be prepared during festivals like diwali or in parties.
- bread slices – 4 number
- ghee / nei – 3 tsps
- sugar – 1/4 cup (can be adjusted according to your taste)
- milk – 1 cup
- water – 1 cup
- cardomom powder – pinch
- nuts – almonds – 4 (chopped), cashews – 4 (chopped) and chironji – 1 tsp
1. Heat pan with one tsp of ghee and fry chopped nuts to golden in medium flame. Remove and keep it ready.
2. Tear the bread slices to small pieces and keep it ready. In the remaining ghee roast the teared bread pieces evenly.
3. Add milk and water. If you need it thick you can add 2 cups of milk instead of water.
4. Then add sugar and mix well.
5. Cook in medium flame until the bread turns soft and mushy. When the mixture becomes thick add cardomom powder and the rest of the ghee.
7. Switch off, transfer to serving bowl and garnish with chopped and fried nuts.
More related recipes in my website are as follows