Brahmin style Onion Sambar Recipe | South Indian is prepared with pearl onions, sambar powder, cooked toor dal, tamarind pulp and salt. This Brahmin style onion sambar is served as side dish with idli, dosa or rice.
Brahmin style Onion Sambar – Ingredients:-
- sambar onions / pearl onions – 20 number
- sambar powder – 1 tsp
- turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- tamarind paste / puzhi – 1 tsp
- cooked toor dal– 1 cup
- salt – to taste
- ghee – 2 tsp
Brahmin style Onion Sambar – Ingredients to grind:-
- red chillies – 8-9 number
- coriander seeds / malli – 4 tsp
- channa dal / kadalai paruppu – 3 tsp
- fenugreek seeds / vendhayam – 1/2 tsp
- greated coconut – 1/2 cup
- sambar onions – 3-4 number (optional)
Brahmin style Onion Sambar – Ingredients for Seasoning:-
- veg oil – 1 tsp
- mustard seeds / kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- fenugreek seeds / vendhayam – 1/4 tsp
- asafoetida / perungayam – pinch
- curry leaves – few
- green chilly – 1 slit
Brahmin style Onion Sambar – Method of preparation:-
1. First of all cook toor dal in a pressure cooker. Meanwhile fry red chillies, coriander seeds, fenugreek seeds and channa dal in one tea spoon of oil.
2. After that add grated coconut and fry for few minutes.
3. Cool down the fried ingredients to room temperature and grind into a fine paste.
4. Secondly add 2 tea spoons of ghee in a fry pan and add sambar onions and fry for few minutes.
5. Similarly add tamarind pulp, salt and water. Close with a lid and cook for few minutes.
6. When onions were well cooked and becomes soft add cooked toor dal, ground mix, sambar powder and turmeric powder. Mix all the ingredients well and keep it in low flame.
7. Finally in another pan heat one tea spoon of veg oil and add mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, slit green chilly and when it splutters add asafoetida and curry leaves. Pour the seasoning into the sambar and serve as side dish for idli, dosa or rice.