We make Black rice kheer recipe | Chettinad kavuni arisi payasam with healthy black rice, milk and sugar. You can serve this during a feast, as neivedhyam to god, or as a drink inbetween meals. We can substitute sugar with jaggery or honey for sweetness. Black rice should be soaked in water overnight before cooking. We have already seen How to cook Black rice , black rice sweet pongal, Black rice vegetable salad. Now let us see how to prepare payasam with black rice.
Black rice kheer recipe – Ingredients:-
- black rice / kavuni arisi – 1/2 cup
- milk – 1/2 cup (cow milk can be substituted by coconut milk)
- sugar – 2 tblsp (can be substituted by jaggery or honey)
Black rice kheer recipe – Ingredients for garnishing:-
- ghee / nei – 1 tsp
- cashew nuts / mundhiri paruppu – 4-5 number
- dry grapes / kis mis – few number
Black rice kheer recipe – Method of preparation:-
1. Firstly soak black rice in water for 7-8 hours. Secondly after 8 hours cook black rice in a pressure cooker or in open pan. See How to cook Black rice for methods of cooking.
2. Thirdly cool down to room temperature and grind cooked black rice and sugar in a mixie.
3. Further pour the ground and cooked black rice in a bowl.
4. Add milk and mix well using a spoon.
5. Finally heat one tea spoon of ghee in a fry pan. Add cashew nuts and dry grapes. When it turns golden and dry grapes pops up, switch off the stove and garnish the payasam with it. Serve hot or refrigerate it and serve cold kheer.