Black rice kheer recipe | Chettinad kavuni arisi payasam is prepared with healthy black rice, milk and sugar. This can be served during a feast, as neivedhyam to god, or as a drink inbetween meals. Sugar can be substituted by jaggery or honey for sweetness. Black rice should be soaked in water overnight before cooking. We have already seen How to cook Black rice , black rice sweet pongal, Black rice vegetable salad.
- black rice / kavuni arisi – 1/2 cup
- milk – 1/2 cup (cow milk can be substituted by coconut milk)
- sugar – 2 tblsp (can be substituted by jaggery or honey)
- ghee / nei – 1 tsp
- cashew nuts / mundhiri paruppu – 4-5 number
- dry grapes / kis mis – few number
1. Soak black rice in water for 7-8 hours and cook. See How to cook Black rice for methods of cooking.
2. Cool down and grind cooked black rice and sugar in a mixie.
3. Pour the groundcooked black rice in a bowl.
4. Add milk and mix well using a spoon.
5. Heat one tsp of ghee in a fry pan. Add cashew nuts and dry grapes. When it turns golden and dry grapes pops up, switch off the stove and garnish the payasam with it.