Bittergourd curry recipe | paagarkkai Masala | Karela sabji is a side dish for parathas, rice and other breads, prepared with bitter gourd, onion, tomato, jaggery, spices and salt. Bitter gourd has numerous health benefits. You may know about it through the link – health benefits of bitter gourd
- bitter gourd / paagarkkai / Karela – 200 grams
- oil – for frying
- onion – 1 cup (chopped)
- garlic – 1 tsp (chopped)
- tomato – 1 cup (chopped)
- red chilly powder / milagai podi – 1 tsp
- turmeric powder / manjal podi – 1/4 tsp
- cumin powder / seeraga podi – 1/2 tsp
- grated coconut – 2 tblsp
- jaggery / vellam – 2 tsp
- salt – to taste
1. Cut bitter gourd into 2 or 3 pieces according to its length. Divide it into two and remove seeds inside. Chop into thin slices lengthwise.
2. Chop onion, ginger and tomatoes and keep it ready.
3. Heat oil in a pan and fry chopped bitter gourd in medium flame.
4. It will take around 10 minutes and when it starts turning colour, remove from oil.
5. Remove from oil to a plate and keep it aside.
6. In another pan add one tsp of oil and fry chopped onion.
7. When it turns pale add chopped garlic.
8. Now add chopped tomatoes and sauté for few minutes.
9. Now add red chilly powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder and salt.
10. Mix well and allow it to cook for 3 minutes. Add little water if necessary. Close and cook in medium flame.
11. When raw smell leaves the pan, add grated coconut to the dish.
12. Mix well and add fried bitter gourd.
13. Add grated jaggery.
14. Allow it to cook in low flame for two minutes, switch off the stove and transfer to a serving bowl.
15. Serve as side dish for roti, Phulkas or rice.
For more bitter gourd recipes in my website click on the links below.