Bitter gourd pakoda recipe | paavakkai pakoda will be very easy to prepare and can be served as side dish with meals or as snacks during tea time. It will be crispy and everyone will love it. We mix channa dal flour, rice flour, red chilly powder, asafoetida, cumin seeds, chopped ginger, curry leaves and salt with chopped bitter gourd and deep fry in oil. We have already prepared Bitter gourd kuzhambu, Stuffed Bitter gourd curry, Bitter gourd chips and Bittergourd Masala. Botanical name for bitter gourd is Momordica charantia. Now let us see how to make pakodas with bitter gourd.
- bitter gourd / paavakkai – 1/4 kg
- besan flour / channa dal flour / kadalai maavu – 1/2 cup
- rice powder / arisi maavu – 1/2 cup
- rec chilly powder / milagai podi – 1/2 tsp
- asafoetida / perungayam – 1/4 tsp
- cumin seeds / seeragam – 1/2 tsp
- ginger / inji – 1/2 tsp (finely chopped)
- curry leaves / karuvepilai – few
- salt – to taste
- oil – for deep frying
1. Wash and wipe bitter gourd using a towel. Chop into circular slices and remove the seeds in the center.
2. Take all the other ingredients and mix it with chopped bitter gourd. Sprinkle little water and mix it until it binds with bitter gourd slices.
3. Heat oil in a fry pan and put bitter gourd pieces one by one with your hands.
4. Fry till bitter gourd becomes crispy and changes golden brown in colour.
5. Serve this pakoda warm along with tea in the evening or store it in an air tight container and serve as side dish along with meals.