Bitter gourd kuzhambu recipe | Paagarkkai kuzhambu is a side dish prepared with bitter gourd, sambar powder, tamarind juice, salt and jaggery. In most of the puzhi Kuzhambu we add coconut or coconut milk. But here we add jaggery to compensate its bitterness. I have given you the preparation in easy steps below.
- bitter gourd – 1/4 kg
- onion – 1 chopped
- curry leaves – few
- sambar powder – 1 tblsp Authentic Chettinad Sambar Powder Recipe
- tamarind pulp – 1 tsp
- salt – to taste
- turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- veg oil – 1 tsp
- mustard seeds/ kadugu – 1 tsp
- urad dal/ ulundham paruppu – 1 tsp
- fenugreek seeds/ vendhayam – 1/4 tsp
- asafoetida/ perungayam – 1/4 tsp
- Jaggery/ vellam – 1 tblsp
1. Wash and chop bitter gourd into thin round slices. Remove the thick seeds in the center. I have shown the way I chopped in the photo below.
2. Heat one tsp of oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and when it splutters add urad dal, fenugreek seeds and asafoetida when it turns golden brown, add a cut red chilly.
3. Add chopped onions and saute for few minutes.
4. saute till onions turn pale as in the photo below.
5. Now add sliced bitter gourd and saute. Let it be in low flame for 10 minutes.
6. When bitter gourd is cooked well, add sambar powder and salt.
7. Now add tamarind juice and turmeric powder.
8. Let it be in low flame for 5 more minutes.
9. Now add jaggery. Mix well, switch off stove and transfer to a bowl. Serve along with rice as side dish.
Other bitter gourd recipes in my website are as follows