Bisi bela bath recipe | Sambar rice | சாம்பார் சாதம் is nothing but a little different version of our Sambar sadham. It will be a perfect lunch box recipe for office and schools. While young I used to think ‘what’s the difference between a rice mixed with ordinary sambar and bisibelabath?’ There is little difference in preparation, taste and that this lasts for a long time. Know about – Rice.
So bisibelabath can be prepared for carrying and during travel. It is healthy as it contains all vegetables, dal and rice together in a single dish. Everyone likes this dish. It tastes good with any raita and papads. Try this recipe once and you’ll love it.
Preparation Time – 30 minutes
To Serve – 3-4
Bisi bela bath recipe – Ingredients:-
- Raw rice – 2 cups/400gms (I used brown rice. You can also use white rice)
- Toor dal – 1 cup/200gms
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Tamarind – lemon size (soak in water and extract juice)
- Bisibelabath powder – 2 tblsp
- Salt – to taste
- Sambar onions – 10-12
- Tomato – 1
- Other vegetables – 3 cups chopped (carrot, potato, beans, radish, peas. In Tamil Nadu most of them use drumstick)
- Ghee – 3 tsp
- Cashew nuts – few
Ingredients to prepare bisibela the powder:-
- Red chillies/ vara milagai – 7-8 number
- Coriander seeds/ malli – 3 tsp
- Bengal gram/channa dal/ kadalai paruppu – 2tsp
- Urad dal/ ulundham paruppu – 1tsp
- Fenugreek seeds/ vendhayam – 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon/ pattai – 1 inch
- Cloves/ kirambu – 3 number
- Cardomom/ elakkai – 1 number
- Poppy seeds/khus khus/ kasa kasa – 1 tsp
- Dry coconut – 4 tblsp (can use grated coconut also)
- Oil – 1 tsp
Fry all the above ingredients in oil, cool down and grind into a fine powder in your mixie. You can grind it and store for a month.
Bisi bela bath recipe – Ingredients for Seasoning:-
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds/ kadugu – 1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds/ vendhayam – 1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida/ perungaayam – 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves – few
Bisi bela bath recipe – Method of preparation:-
1. Firstly cook Toor dal with a drop of oil, turmeric powder and enough water in a pressure cooker for one whistle.
2. Secondly cook rice with 5 cups of water in a pressure cooker or electric cooker separately.
3. Thirdly heat oil in a fry pan add mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, asafoetida and curry leaves.
4. Further add the chopped vegetables and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
5. Sprinkle some water and close and cook for 4-5 minutes.