Bhindi besan fry | Lady’s finger Kurkure | Vendaikkai varuval is a wonderful crispy fry prepared as evening snacks. This Kurkure can also be served as side dish for rice.
Preparation time : 30 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- bindi/ lady’s finger – 1/4 kg
- besan atta/ channa flour/ kadalai maavu – 2 tblsp
- rice flour/ arisi maavu – 1 tblsp
- red chilly powder – 1 tsp
- turmeric powder/ manjal thool – 1/4 tsp
- cumin powder/ seeragapodi – 1/2 tsp
- ajwin/ omam – 1/2 tsp
- salt/ uppu – to taste
1. First you should know, how to chop lady’s finger for preparing this fry. Wash and wipe the vegetable with a towel or dry completely without water. Cut the top (stalk portion) and bottom of bhindi. Divide the bhindi into two lengthwise as shown in the below photo.
2. Remove the seeds inside using a knife.
3. If the bhindi is long cut it into two in the middle. Mine was short today and so I didn’t cut. Divide each into 3 lengthwise pieces. Now it’s ready to cook.
4. Now mix all the other ingredients together with chopped bhindi with your hands. Add one tblsp of water if needed.
5. Heat oil in a kadai and put one piece at first and see. If it comes up to the surface oil is ready to fry.
6. Put handful of bhindi in oil and fry turning the sides.
7. Stop when the bindi starts to change colour. It is the correct stage to remove from oil. Keep it in an absorbent paper to remove excess of oil.
8. Serve hot. It retains its crispness for nearly one hour.
Other lady’s fingers recipes in my website are