Bhel puri recipe | Mumbai street chaat is very popular street food all over India. There are two types of bhel puris. One is wet bhel puri and the other is dry bhel puri. In dry bhel puri we do not add any chutney. These bhel puris are usually eaten with a crisp fried puri instead of a spoon. Bhel puri have to be served as soon as it was prepared and even a couple of minutes will make the whole mixture soggy and you cannot enjoy its crispness.
Mumbai is always famous for its street food and now it is popular all over India. We have already seen many Mumbai chaats such as Vada Pav , Pav Bhaji , Aloo Samosa , Gobi manchurian , Vegetable Cutlet , dahi puri, Chole Bhature and Pani Puri . Today let us see how to prepare bhel puri and I have explained with photos of all ingredients and the steps to mix them.
Bhel puri recipe – Ingredients (totally 16) :- 200 ml cup used
- puffed rice / pori – 2 cups
- onion – 1 (finely chopped)
- tomato – 1 (finely chopped)
- cooked potato – 1 (chopped)
- cooked green gram / moong dal – 1 cup (sprouts can also be used)
- mint coriander chutney / spicy green chutney – 2 tsps Green chutney
- tamarind dates chutney / sweet red chutney – 2 tsp Sweet tamarind dates chutney
- chat masala powder – 1 tsp
- red chilly powder – 1 tsp
- roasted jeera powder – 1 tsp
- black salt – to taste
- fresh coriander leaves – 1/4 cup (finely chopped)
- roasted peanuts / groundnuts – 1/4 cup
- sev – 1/4 cup
- jeera puri / bhel puri / papids – 5 or 6 number
- lemon juice – 1 tsp
Bhel puri recipe – Method of preparation:-
1. Firstly dry roast puffed rice or pori in a fry pan till it is hot to touch. Do not roast till it changes colour.
2. Cool it and take in a bowl. Secondly add chopped onion, tomato and cooked potato.
3. Thirdly add boiled green gram, green chutney, tamarind dates chutney and chat masala powder.
4. Next add chopped fresh coriander leaves, roasted jeera powder, black salt and red chilly powder.
5. Finally add lemon juice and just swirl the mixture together once quickly. Finally add broken jeera puri, roasted peanuts and sev and these ingredients will give crispness to the chat. Serve immediately in individual bowls.
6. If you prepare a dry bhel puri, skip adding both the spicy green chutney and the sweet red chutney. Rest of the method will be the same.