Bharwa Torai recipe | stuffed sponge gourd is prepared with Luffa aegyptiaca as Botanical name also called as sponge gourd or Egyptian cucumber or Vietnamese luffa. Young fruit is eaten as vegetable and fully ripened fruit is strongly fibrous and inedible and is used to make scrubbing bath sponges. Torai is its Hindi name. We can prepare many recipes with Torai like kootu, Poriyal and Raita. Today we will prepare a stuffed dish with Torai. More details about the fruit in Luffa – Wikipedia.
Bharwa Torai recipe – Ingredients:-
- torai / sponge gourd – 3/4 kg
- turmeric powder / manjal podi – 1/4 tsp
- red chilly powder / milagai podi – 1 tsp
- coriander powder / malli podi – 1/2 tsp
- cumin powder / seeraga podi – 1/4 tsp
- fennel seed powder / sombu podi – 1/4 tsp
- lemon juice – from 1/2 fruit
- ginger garlic paste / inji poondu viludhu – 1 tsp
- Salt / uppu – to taste
Bharwa Torai recipe – Method:-
1. First of all let us see how to chop the vegetable when we should do stuffing. Scrap the outer skin using a knife as shown in the photo below.
2. Secondly cut the fruit into 3 or 4 pieces each. Each piece should be of 2 inches length. Again cut lengthwise in the center as shown below.
3. Similarly chop all sponge gourds and collect it in a bowl.
4. On the other hand mix all the spices in a bowl.
5. After that take 1/2 tsp of mix with your thumb and next two fingers. Fill each Torai with the masala mix in between and keep it ready.
6. Now heat oil in a broad fry pan and add cumin seeds.
7. When it splutters keep the stuffed Torai one by one in the fry pan. Do not keep it one above the other. You can use a tong to do this.
8. Close it with a lid and keep in low flame for 5 minutes. Do not stir.
9. Now using a tong turn the sides of Torai, so that the other side will get cooked.