Bharwa Torai recipe | stuffed sponge gourd is prepared with Luffa aegyptiaca as Botanical name also called as sponge gourd or Egyptian cucumber or Vietnamese luffa. Young fruit is eaten as vegetable and fully ripened fruit is strongly fibrous and inedible and is used to make scrubbing bath sponges. Torai is its Hindi name. We can prepare many recipes with Torai like kootu, Poriyal and Raita. Today we will prepare a stuffed dish with Torai. More details about the fruit – Luffa – Wikipedia.
- torai / sponge gourd – 3/4 kg
- turmeric powder / manjal podi – 1/4 tsp
- red chilly powder / milagai podi – 1 tsp
- coriander powder / malli podi – 1/2 tsp
- cumin powder / seeraga podi – 1/4 tsp
- fennel seed powder / sombu podi – 1/4 tsp
- lemon juice – from 1/2 fruit
- ginger garlic paste / inji poondu viludhu – 1 tsp
- Salt / uppu – to taste
1. First let us see how to chop the vegetable when we should stuff it. Scrap the skin using a knife as shown in the photo below.
2. Cut the fruit into 3 or 4 pieces each. Each piece should be of 2 inches length. Again cut lengthwise in the center as shown below.
3. Chop in the same way and collect it in a bowl.
4. Mix all the spices in a bowl.
5. Take 1/2 tsp of mix with your thumb and next two fingers. Fill each Torai with the masala mix and keep it ready.
6. Heat oil in a broad fry pan. Add cumin seeds.
7. When it splutters keep the stuffed Torai one by one in the fry pan. Do not keep it one above the other. You can use a tong.
8. Close it with a lid and keep in low flame for 5 minutes. Do not stir.
9. Now using a tong turn the sides of Torai, so that the other side will get cooked.