betel leaf rice recipe | vetrilai sadham | paan rice is a tasty and healthy dish which helps in digestion. We prepare this rice using the ingredients betel leaves called as vetrilai in tamil, pepper, cumin, salt and lemon juice. Tempering is done as usual and this rice can be prepared as a lunch box recipe.
Botanical name – Piper betle
Details in betel leaves Wikipedia
Betel leaves are traditionally offered as a mark of auspicious beginnings. Occasions include greeting elders, wedding ceremonies, new year, paying elders, astrologers, where money and areca nut kept on top of the betel leaves and offered to the elders for their blessings. Betel leaves are wrapped for the chewing of areca nut or tobacco to add flavour and it helps in digestion. It is also used in cooking.
betel leaf rice recipe – Ingredients:-
- vetrilai / betel leaves / paan – 4 number
- pepper / milagu – 1/2 tsp
- cumin seeds / seeragam – 3/4 tsp
- onion – 1 (chopped) pearl onions 10 number preferred
- garlic / poondu – 1 tsp (chopped)
- turmeric powder / manjal – 1/4 tsp
- lemon juice – 2 tsp
- salt – to taste
betel leaf rice recipe – Ingredients for Seasoning:-
- gingely oil/ nal ennai – 2 tsp
- mustard seeds / kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- urad dal / ulundham paruppu – 1 tsp
- channa dal / kadalai paruppu – 1 tsp (soaked in water)
- cashewnuts – as needed
- coriander leaves for garnishing
betel leaf rice recipe – Method of preparation:-
1. First of all take 4 fresh betel leaves, wash them and chop it. Grind it into a fine paste along with cumin seeds and pepper.
2. Secondly chop onion, garlic and keep all the ingredients ready in a plate.
3. Mean while cook rice and keep it ready. Refer how to cook white rice
4. After that heat a fry pan with two tea spoons of gingely oil and add mustard seeds and when it splutters add urad dal and soaked channa dal.
5. When the dals turn golden add chopped onions and garlic and fry.
6. When onions turn pale add ground mix of betel leaves and stir until raw smell leaves.
7. Then add turmeric powder and salt.
8. Mix well and pour the seasoning in the bowl containing cooked rice. Finally add lemon juice and mix with out breaking the rice.
9. Garnish with roasted cashewnuts and finely chopped coriander leaves and serve along with papads.