betel leaf chutney recipe is a tasty healthy side dish prepared with betel leaves / paan / vetrilai, onion, garlic, green chillies, urad dal, channa dal, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, salt and tamarind. Served as side dish for idli, dosa and rice.
Betel leaves are traditionally offered as a mark of auspicious beginnings. Occasions include greeting elders, wedding ceremonies, new year, paying elders, astrologers, where money and areca nut kept on top of the betel leaves and offered to the elders for their blessings. Betel leaves are wrapped for the chewing of areca nut or tobacco to add flavour and it helps in digestion. It is also used in cooking. We have already prepared vetrilai sadham and Sweet Beeda with Vetrilai.
Botanical name – Piper betle
Details in – Betel leaf Wikipedia
betel leaf chutney recipe – Ingredients:-
- vetrilai / paan / betel leaves – 12 to 15 number (according to the size)
- pearl onions / sambar onions – 10 number
- garlic cloves / poondu pal – 20 number
- green chillies – 2 number
- tamarind paste / puzhi – 1 tsp Tamarind Paste Preparation
- salt – to taste
- oil – 3 tsps
betel leaf chutney recipe – Ingredients to dry roast and grind:-
- urad dal / ulundham paruppu – 2 tsp
- channa dal / kadalai paruppu – 2 tsp
- coriander seeds / malli – 2 tsp
- cumin seeds / seeragam – 1 tsp
betel leaf chutney recipe – Method of preparation:-
1. Firstly remove the center veins in the betel leaf using a scissors and chop them. Remove skin of pearl onions and garlic and keep all the ingredients ready.
2. Secondly dry roast urad dal, channa dal, coriander seeds and cumin seeds in a fry pan till it turns golden brown.
3. After that put it in a plate and allow it to cool down to room temperature.
4. Thirdly heat one tea spoon of oil in a fry pan and add pearl onions and fry.
5. When it turns pale add garlic and sauté again.
6. Next add green chillies and saute.
7. Similarly add chopped betel leaves and sauté till it turns colour.
8. Put it in a plate and allow it to cool.
9. Now put the dry roasted ingredients to a mixie jar and grind once.
10. Finally add the oil fried ingredients to it along with tamarind paste and salt.
11. Grind it to a fine paste adding required water.
12. Again heat one tea spoon of oil in a fry pan, put the ground thuvaiyal in it and sauté.
13. When the thuvaiyal becomes thick and oil leaves the pan, switch off and transfer to a bowl.