Banana flower thoran recipe | Vazhaipoo Kerala style recipe prepared with grated coconut, cumin seeds, red chillies, onion, garlic and salt, as side dish for rice.
The two main species of banana widely used for food are – Musa acuminata and Musa balbisiana
To know about the the banana flower’s health benefits click Nutritional value and health benefits
- banana flower / vazhaipoo – 3 cups
- onion – 1/2 cup (chopped)
- oil – 1 tsp
- mustard seeds / kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- urad dal / ulundham paruppu – 1 tsp
- curry leaves / karuvepilai – few
- salt / uppu – to taste
- grated coconut / thengai thuruval – 1/2 cup
- cumin seeds / seeragam – 1 tsp
- red chillies / vara milagai – 3 number
- pearl onions / chinna vengayam – 3 number
- garlic cloves / poondu pal – 2 number
1. Remove the pistil in each flower. I have shown in the picture below.
2. Chop the flowers into small pieces and put in water.
3. Grind the ingredients greated coconut, cumin seeds, red chillies, pearl onions and garlic.
4. Heat one tsp of oil in a fry pan, add mustard seeds and when it splutters add urad dal. When it turns golden and curry leaves.
5. Now add chopped onion and sauté till it turns pale.
6. Next add chopped banana flower and sauté. Add 1/2 cup of water if necessary, close and cook for 8-10 minutes.
7. When it is well cooked and becomes soft add the ground paste and salt.
8. Mix well, let it be in low flame for 2 minutes.
9. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve as side dish for rice
For more related recipes in my website click