badhusha recipe | diwali sweet recipe is a traditional Indian sweet prepared specially during diwali and also on all occasions. It is called as balushahi in north India and as badhusha in south India. The main ingredient in this crunchy sweet is maida or all purpose flour, deep fried in ghee and soaked in sugar syrup. Main tips which I give for the recipe is
- do not knead the dough much so that you can get the badhusha in layers.
- fry badhusha in ghee to get good flavour and taste
- keep the stove in low flame while you deep fry the badhusha. If not the inner portion may not be fried well.
- add half a tsp of sugar to the dough so that you will get rich golden brown badhushas.
Other diwali sweet recipes in my website are Paal Kova, Gulab jamun, Spongy Rasgulla, Chettinad Maavurundai, Coconut laddu, Groundnut Laddu, Dry Fruits laddu, Bread Halwa, Beetroot Halwa, Rasamalai , Badam Halwa and Carrot Halwa.
badhusha recipe | diwali sweet recipe – Ingredients:-
for making dough:-
- maida / all purpose flour – 1.5 cups
- sugar / seeni – 1/2 tsp
- baking powder – 1/2 tsp
- water – as needed
- ghee / nei – 1/4 cup
- curd / yogurt / thayir – 1/4 cup
- ghee / nei – for deep frying
for sugar syrup:-
- sugar / seeni – 1 cup
- water – 1/2 cup
- kesar powder – pinch
- cardomom powder / elakkai thool – pinch
1. Take maida in a bowl.
2. Add half a tsp of sugar.
3. Next add half a tsp of baking powder.
4. Next add 1/4 cup of ghee.
5. Crumble the mixture in the bowl.
6. Next add 1/4 cup of curd.
7. Add water little by little as needed.
8. Make a soft dough with all the ingredients added in the bowl. Do not knead the dough.
9. Cover it with a wet muslin cloth for 10-15 minutes.
10. Mean while prepare sugar syrup. At first take sugar in a pan and add water.
11. Add a pinch of kesar powder.
12. Add a pinch of cardomom powder.
13. Boil for 5 minutes and you will get a sticky sugar syrup.
14. After 10-15 minutes slightly knead the dough. Take ball size of dough, make a ball and make dent in the middle using your finger as shown in the photo below.
15. Same way make such badhushas with all the dough.
16. Heat ghee in a pan and once ghee is heated keep the stove in low flame and deep fry the badhushas.
17. Turn the sides and fry to golden brown on both the sides. Remove it and immerse in sugar syrup for 5 minutes.
18. Take it out of the sugar syrup garnish with chopped pista and serve hot or cold.