Avarai vathal sambar | dry flat beans | அவரை வத்தல் is a recipe prepared with dry flat beans which will be equal in taste like fresh one. It is an Instant vegetable. When you do not have any vegetables at home and no time to buy any, you can prepare this avarai vathal sambar. This will taste the same as fresh avarai kaai.
For avarai vathal preparation see அவரை வத்தல் செய்முறை,
வத்தல் மண்டி Is another recipe with dry flat beans.
- avarai vathal/ dry flat beans – handful
- cooked toor dal/ thuvaram paruppu – 1 cup
- onion – 1 chopped
- tomato – 1 chopped
- turmeric powder/ manjal thool – pinch
- tamarind/ puzhi – lemon size or 1 tsp
- sambar powder – 1 tblsp – see Sambar powder preparation.
- salt/ uppu – to taste
- vegetable oil – 1 tsp
- mustard seeds/ kadugu – 1 tsp
- urad dal/ ulundham paruppu – 1 tsp
- asafoetida/ perungaayam – 1/2 tsp
- curry leaves/ karuvepilai – few
1. Cook toor dal in a pressure cooker for one whistle with a pinch of turmeric powder and one drop of oil.
2. Boil water and pour it in a bowl. Immerse avarai vathal in it. Close it and keep it for 10-15 minutes.
3. Heat oil in a pan add mustard seeds and when it splutters add urad dal. When it turns golden yellow, add asafoetida , curry leaves, chopped onion followed by chopped tomatoes and fry for a few minutes. Stir in gaps.
4. Meanwhile avarai vathal will absorb water and becomes soft. Add this to the frying pan. Add tamarind juice or paste, sambar powder and salt. Mix well with enough water for a sambar consistency.
5. Close and cook for another 3 minutes. Serve hot along with rice. This will taste the same as fresh avarai kaai.