Aval payasam recipe | Poha kheer preparation step by step method. Neivedhyam or a party recipe where we use poha, jaggery, milk, nuts and ghee as ingredients. This is very easy to prepare which will not take more than 5 minutes. So suitable for beginners and bachelors. We have already prepared so many payasam such as Oats payasam, Orange pazha payasam Carrot Payasam Javvarisi payasam and Pineapple Payasam
To know more about South Indian payasam click – payasam – Wikipedia
- aval / poha – 1/4 cup
- jaggery / vellam – 3/4 cup (grated)
- milk – 1 cup
- cashew nuts, dry grapes and green cardomom – as needed
1. Dry roast poha for 2 minutes in medium flame in a fry pan. Stop before turning colour. It should be hot when you touch, and that is enough. Keep it aside.
2. Heat one tsp of ghee in fry pan and fry cashewnuts to golden. Remove and keep it in a plate. Again fry dry grapes. It pops up and now you remove that and keep it in the same plate along with fried cashewnuts. This is used finally for garnishing.
3. Now add 1/2 a cup of water to roasted Aval and cook in the fry pan. (Time may differ according to the thickness of Aval)
4. When Aval is cooked well and becomes soft, add grated jaggery. Now jaggery melts.
5. When it melts completely, you can switch off the stove and add milk.
6. This can be served either warm or you can cool down in a refrigerator and serve chilled. Garnish with fried cashewnuts, dry grapes and green cardomom (can also use a pinch of cardomom powder instead)