Ganesha festival starts and you’ll be looking for a different modak recipe to prepare this year. Today I’ll share with you Aval kolukattai | Poha Modak recipe for preparing a sweet modak for Ganesha with aval/poha. This is an easy recipe which you can prepare within 10 minutes.
To serve : 20 modaks
Aval kolukattai recipe – Ingredients:-
- poha / Aval – 2 cups
- Moong dal – 1/4 cup
- Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- Cardomom powder – pinch
- Jaggery – 1 cup
Aval kolukattai recipe – Methid of preparation:-
1. Firstly soak moong dal in water for 30-40 minutes.
2. Mean while heat jaggery in water for few minutes and prepare jaggery syrup.
3. Further soak aval / poha in water according to it’s thickness. If it is too light you can just wet it and use at once. If it is thick soak for half an hour. When you touch it should be wet and easy to disperse.
4. Secondly drain water completely (press in your palms) from poha and mix soaked moong dal (drain water) grated coconut, cardomom powder and jaggery syrup. Mix well to form a dough.
5. Finally make lemon size balls with your hands and keep it in steam in an idiyappam pan for 5 minutes. Put a cloth above the plate with holes, and keep modak on the cloth. Close the plate with a lid and cook in medium flame for five minutes.
6. Once when it was cooked, remove it, shape it once again and keep it as prasadham for Ganesha.
For other sweet modak recipes in my website, please click on the following links