Authentic Chettinad Sambar Powder Recipe is the basic ingredient used in South Indian cooking. Sambar is taken with rice, idli, dosa and vada. We used to prepare Sambar at least twice in a week. So this is one of the essential ingredients in our kitchen. The main spices used in Sambar Powder are red chillies and coriander seeds which will be harvested and come to market in fresh during summer. More over everyone will be in holidays, and it’ll be easy to dry in hot sun and grind during summer and store for one year. It’ll be more economical and healthy if we prepare this Sambar powder at home, once in a year.
Authentic Chettinad Sambar Powder – Ingredients:-
- red chillies / vara milagai – 500 gms
- coriander seeds / malli – 500 gms
- toor dal / thuvaram paruppu – handful
- channa dal / kadalai paruppu – handful
- cumin seeds / seeragam – handful
- raw rice / pacharisi – handful
- fenugreek seeds / vendhayam – handful
- pepper corns / milagu – handful
- dry turmeric roots / manjal – handful (optional. I do not use this because I used to grind turmeric powder separately and use.
Authentic Chettinad Sambar Powder – Method:-
1. First of all cut the stalks from red chillies. (This is to protect from insects for a long time)
2. Secondly dry red chillies and coriander seeds in hot sunlight for two days. (This is to retain colour)
3. Thirdly dry roast coriander seeds, toor dal, channa dal, cumin seeds, raw rice, fenugreek seeds and black pepper one by one separately in a pan till you get nice aroma.
4. Finally mix all the ingredients together and grind it in a rice mill as a result of which you will get a fine powder. Spread the sambar powder over a tray for 15 minutes in order to cool down to room temperature. Store this sambar powder in an air tight container. This sambar powder can almost be used for more than a year without refrigeration while preparing any kind of vegetable sambar.
For other powder recipes in my website click on the following links