arisi upma recipe | vegetable rice upma is a very simple, healthy breakfast recipe prepared with broken rice, vegetables, onion, green chillies and salt. It will be delicious and easy to prepare like other upmas. We have already prepared few upmas such as Oats Upma, Rava Upma , Javvarisi / Sabudana Upma , Semia Upma , Aval Upma and Broken Wheat Upma. Today let us prepare an Upma with broken raw rice. This Upma is served with any chutney or podi.
Ingredients:- (200 ml cup used)
- broken raw rice / pacharisi – 1 cup
- onion – 1/4 cup (chopped)
- green chillies – 2 number ;slit)
- vegetables – 1 cup (chopped. Preferably carrot, green peas, beans, potato, cauliflower, cabbage)
- ginger / inji – 1 tsp (chopped)
- salt – to taste
- oil – 1 tsp
- mustard seeds / kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- urad dal / ulundham paruppu – 1 tsp
- curry leaves – few
1. Grind raw rice coarsly in a rice mill or you can do it in a mixie at home. Sieve it using a sieve with little bigger holes.
2. Grind the bigger ones again. Again sieve it through a fine hole sieve to separate the rice powder. Collect one cup of broken rice which is coarse.
3. Dry roast broken rice till it is hot to touch.
4. Put it in a container. I have used pressure cooker.
5. Chop onion, green chilly and keep it ready.
6. Heat one tsp of oil and add mustard seeds. When it splutters add urad dal and when it turns golden add slit green chillies, chopped onion and curry leaves.
7. Put the seasoning in the cooker along with other ingredients.
8. Add chopped ginger.
9. Add 3 cups of water.
10. Cook for one whistle. Open once pressure is released. Add salt and mix well.
11. Serve along with any chutney or podi.